Drewry Shunter 0-4-0 DM 16
This loco may be the most travelled loco on the NYMR.
Built by Drewry Car Company at Burton on Trent in 1941 for the WD as number 37 0f a batch of 20 (29-48)
Electrical equipment and the exhaust system were flameproofed for use in munitions factories and fuel dumps. Worked in The UK until 1943 then shipped out to the Middle East and renumbered MEF 44 and later 70037, working mainly around Suez. Returned to the UK in 1947 to Kings Norton WD Depot near Derby from where it was sold in Feb 1948 to Shell Mex / BP Trafford Park becoming number 12. 1950 transferred to Jarrow renumbered 16, where it worked until 1964. Then for repair at Bagueley then to BP Saltend near Hull until 1984 when it was donated to the York Are Group for use on the NYMR.
Work on the NYMR was on Civil Engineers PW trains hauling work trains on the line.
Out of use now since 1999 but a requirement for another loco at Newbridge may mean its return to service.
July 2013 The loco was extricated from the undergrowth and placed in the shed for assessment.
A copy of the brochure for these locos can be found at :-
Our Number 16 was originally numbered 37 then upon its despatch to the Middle East in 1944 it received an MEF (Middle East Forces) number 44.
After 1999 the loco was stored at the far end of the yard and tended to be forgotten about.
However a recent change in allocation of shunting locos on the railway has meant that it was desirable to reinstate 16 to active service in the yard. As part of this the loco was extricated from the bramble and brought into the shed were an assessment can be undertaken of the state of the engine. In particular Neil will be checking if the engine will turn over and also the condition of the Torque converter.